Kirk Alyn

George Reeves

Movies

Lois and Clark   Smallville   Man of Steel   Returns  Superboy

Fan Boy Art  Forum Emotion Images   Avatars   Images Gallery  Superman Facts  Superman Fan Art  Hulk Store

Home

Superman Comics
Superman Links
Hulk VS Superman
Superman Articles
Superman serials

Superman Wallpaper
Superman Animation

Superhero Workouts
New Collectibles
Superman Store

Green Arrow

Batman

Flash

Wonder Woman

»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

SupermanTV.net Forum / Superman / Smallville / Superman Info You Didn't Know!

Posted:  13 Oct 2007 23:50
You know how Clark got his first name, right?  "Clark" was Martha's last name before she married Jonathan. 

BUT...how did the creators of Superman, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, get the name Clark Kent? 

Clark is from Clark Gable, and Kent is from Kent Taylor, Jerry Siegel's brother-in-law. 

Also, Clark's middle name is Joseph, which is also the middle name of Jonathan.  Lois Lane's middle name is Joanne (from Jeph Loeb's book on Superman; "Jo" is probably a tribute to Superman co-creator Joe Shuster). 

Interesting side note: a comic book in 1976 ran a story on what might happen if Clark's ship landed in 1976, and he began his adventures as Superman at age 25 in the year 2001.

2001!  The same year "Smallville" first aired!

In that story, Clark gets his first name from the American Navy man who first finds his ship (which lands in the ocean, not Smallville) and his last name from the scientist who raised him. 

Other obscure/interesting Superman facts: 

--Jerry Siegel wrote for the Glenville High newspaper--a newspaper called THE TORCH!

--The creators of Superman wanted to sell Superman as a newspaper comic strip.  When it was accepted as a comic book, they reformatted it.

(Another interesting side note: in "Metamorphosis," Greg Arkin mentions the buffalo ant can lift 50 times its own body weight.  Page one of the first Superman story in the first Action Comics presents such examples of superpowers found in nature.)

--Superman was turned down by the father of the man who started MAD magazine

--Superman originally appeared in a novel in which he was the bad guy!

--Jimmy Olsen and Perry White began as characters on the Superman radio show

--Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, and James Caan were all offered the movie role of Superman

--Weakening kryptonite was originally red, but like the Hulk's gray, was changed to green

--Lex Luthor was originally known only by his last name, beginning with Superman #10 in June 1941; he got his first name in April 1960 with the publication of Adventure #27

(From an article in Sci Fi magazine, June 2006)
Posted:  14 Oct 2007 00:22
Intersting factoids.
Posted:  14 Oct 2007 00:59

Road of Lightning
Posted:  20 Oct 2007 02:19
I knew some but not all. Alex was like doing almost the exact same thing I was doing. "Knew that, didnt know that, wow thats cool." lol we think alot alike.
Posted:  20 Oct 2007 15:26   Last Edited By: Tim
Quote:
Interesting side note: a comic book in 1976 ran a story on what might happen if Clark's ship landed in 1976, and he began his adventures as Superman at age 25 in the year 2001.
I have that book. They predicted a couple of things correctly. If I'm not mistaken I think 24 hour news channels were one of the predictions. I'll have to reread it.

Quote:
Superman originally appeared in a novel in which he was the bad guy!
and he was also bald like Lex Luthor.

thanks for posting all those interesting facts.
Posted:  20 Oct 2007 15:44
Quote:
I knew some but not all. Alex was like doing almost the exact same thing I was doing. "Knew that, didnt know that, wow thats cool." lol we think alot alike
Careful, next thing you know, you two will be finishing each others sentences!!  LOL!!! 

"I am God's workmanship." (Ephesians 2:10)

"I have been redeemed and forgiven." (Colossians 1:14)

"I am the salt and the light of the earth." (Matthew 5:13-14)

David Harvey
Morrisville, NC
[email protected]
Posted:  21 Oct 2007 09:44
And wearing each other's clothes!
Posted:  26 Oct 2007 05:10
cool info
Posted:  04 Nov 2007 00:49
One minor correction: Kent Taylor (from whom the creators of Superman got Clark's last name) is not Jerry Siegel's brother-in-law but rather his WIFE'S brother-in-law. 

Some Spider-Man/Smallville info:

--Smallville character rescued by Peter Parker in the first Spider-Man/Superman crossover: Lois Lane 

--Smallville character Peter develops a crush on in the second Spider-Man/Superman crossover: Lana Lang 

--Smallville character Doctor Octopus joins forces with in first Spidey/Supes crossover: Lex Luthor 

Recently, a political magazine did a spoof news article in which China hosts the world's top villains, which included Alexander "Lex" Luthor!

And they plan to build a Death Star! 
Posted:  23 Dec 2007 23:21
Ok some of those facts I did know, but a lot I didn't know. I'm putting in my uperman Info page, if that's cool with you guys?

http://imdb.com/gallery/granitz/6624/AngelinaJ_James_14637943_400 ...
If you need a good laugh, watch The World's Angriest Cat LOLRH you will laugh your head off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0omjqLTZGU
Posted:  31 Dec 2007 02:18
It's cool with me.

The thing is, as far as copyright law, it's okay to use a small amount of someone else's information, as long as most of what you do is your own original work.

Like if you write a paper and quote one line from a novel, you're not violating copyright law.

Same with an essay or article on the Internet.

Here on the message board, I'm not even quoting word for word.

One other little correction:

I refer to a book about Superman which lists Clark's middle name.  The book I mentioned wasn't BY Superman producer Jeph Loeb; he wrote the foreword.  The actual author of the Superman book is Scott Beatty. 
Posted:  31 Dec 2007 06:59
Here's a cool Superman piece of art I found online!!!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2393/2150421607_febc6faf28_o.jpg
Posted:  31 Dec 2007 17:42
The Superman you(Scaper) are showing there appears to be the same model as my nephews got for Christmas, part of a set, with Lex Luthor, who comes with Kryptonite armour which is removal, I snapped it all on (it is in pieces with also a kyrptonite rocket pack).  They boys spent the night.  The arguing is who gets to be Lex, maybe because of all his K-parts.  But the figues look more Superman movie than Smallville.  I am trying to resist playing with them.  No joke!This is really odd for a grown woman to want to play with little men.
   Also another thing.  I saw Christina Milian (remember the Smallville episode where she was an actress who was playing a part in a Smallville episode, and the movie was filming there.) Recall, She was in a car that was going to crash and Clark saved her???--Kind of Cuban or half black looking???  Well, she was in a fun Christmas movie I liked that aired on ABC family movie.  She was the main character ("Angela") and had a black dad and an Italian mom. The movie was "The Snow Globe"  I assume no one here saw it because it was a "chick flick" (so called by guys).  I loved it.  A girl with family problems and life going no place received a present, sender unknown, and it was a "snow globe" those glass orbs you shake and it snows--anyway it snowed over a tiny town with little people sort of 30s-40s looking.  And one night (an many thereafter)she went into it, fell in love with a perfect, virginal man, interacting in a "perfect town".  Christina Milian was just great in the fantasy movie.  You remember she is the one who wantes to be cast as a Superhero in a series or maybe Smallville--I don't remember.  Anyway, I think she would make a good regular Smallville resident and there was talk too, of her returning to Smallville.  Nothing here important, and since I see no other girls on Smallville  taking right now, I assume I am the only person here who saw it.  Just to say, she is really believable and good.  I hope she does visit Smallville again.
   Also yesterday, I am sure I spotted Kristan in a crowd scene near the end of the movie "The Knight".  I could be wrong, but she was a dead ringer!!  I don't know the date the movie came out.  It was just seconds but I really think it was her.
   My computer seems better since someone said "Sign in without add ons" .....which seem to be ActiveX controls.  It is almost up to speed now, no pop-ups (Thanks Tim)and just still multiple error messages--If Tim reads this.  Can you tell me please, how to sign in as administrator?  You mentioned if I cleared things there it might help, but I am so clueless I don't know how.  Thanks.
          Happiest ever New Year to all!!!
Posted:  31 Dec 2007 20:14
pretty cool

Road of Lightning
Posted:  31 Dec 2007 20:27
Quote:
Can you tell me please, how to sign in as administrator
Hmm, I guess you need to know the user name and password. Your computer sounds like it's set up for different users. That's something I don't fool with much.

Did your computer belong to a network at one time? Was it used at a business of some type?
Posted:  31 Dec 2007 20:29
That is cool, and you are never too old to play with toys!!! 

Now if D.Man said he was playing with Barbies then I'd have to sit and wonder!!! hahahaha....

I know David's going to write... "I really tried to find humor in that, but I'm not laughing!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA!!!!

My view is the toys R us song... I don't want to grow up! Well in someways you have to...but always a kid at heart right!!!!   
Posted:  31 Dec 2007 22:10   Last Edited By: Shadowland
SPEAKING OF TOYS.....When 5, I had a great toy. No!  Not a doll oddly enough. It was a metal water toy brightly painted, about 14 inch. circumfrance,& in the middle an Island arose.  There was a pump that moved the water, bottom bumpy,etc and you tried to land the Pirate ship on the island.  I swear if it was on this table I would be fiddling with the pump trying to get the ship on the Island-(probably for an hour)-no joke.  And I loved "Pirates of The Carribean", naturally, my  front room wall has paintings of very old sailing ships (4) got at different times, and my coffee pot says "Cutty Sark" (old ship) with a black drawing on white enamel.  When I was 16 I took my birthday money and bought a huge scale , made many years ago, SHIP about 3.1/2 feet high, wonderful ship about 1840 type. Hell to dust!!!LOL..... I still love it though.
I know it all must have begun when I was 5 with that beloved Pirate Ship Water toy! (Because I can see it in my mind as plain as when I got it, see myself sitting at the top of wooden steps , front porch behind me, and my grandmother's house.  It may have been old, that I cannot tell. If I could have one toy back, it would be that,  I was no more than 5.  Anything anyone else in the kid toy line they want with them today??
   TIM++++++This computer belonged to a big firm, yes.  It has business stuff on it and to use it I had to re-set a lot of setting and security for personal use, which took me some time and it has WindoesXP Business loaded on it.  Maybe some of that stuff is back to haunt me now.  But signing on without "add-ons" (Active X and Tool bars") has helped A lot!!
Posted:  01 Jan 2008 00:38
You know another thing to keep in mind if you ever have problems when using your browser you might try downloading the Firefox browser.
Posted:  01 Jan 2008 04:37   Last Edited By: scaper
Firefox is so much better. It eliminated a lot of problems for me.

Talking of toys when I was a kid.... Wow so many.

I had this toy fire truck that you hooked up with a hose. Your story reminded me of it actually. It had a remote control water canon on it. My Dad would light a fire on the grass for me and Id use the water hose to put out the fire. Obviously you had to hook it up to a garden hose, but I've never seen one since and I still have the truck in the basement of my Grandmas. Such a cool truck.... hmmmmm Maybe this is where I got my pyro tendencies from hahahhahaa!!!!  I'm bad at Halloween...well in a good way kinda bad!

I have so many more toys I could share with you guys but I'll let other people jump in and share some of their cool stuff before I unload all of my childhood goodies on you hey!!!

O.K. one more... hahhahaa...

We had a pool when I was in High School. it was awesome...so many funny stories just around the swimming pool. But anyhow, My brother bought this remote control submarine, the photo showed in being used in a bathtub on the box but we thought how cool would it be if we tried it in the swimming pool. It was awesome. We ended up getting two of them and we would have submarine races in the pool!!!

I'd still have fun with those toys now!! WOW. Too much fun...

O.K. I'll hold off for now!!!
Posted:  01 Jan 2008 04:43
David, I got your Christmas Card today!!! I posted a reply in the message to you thread!
Posted:  01 Jan 2008 05:03
God! Best toy?  My dad got me this big robot, and i was scared s---less of it.  It had a remote and when i was bad (often) or wouldn't go to bed, he (my dad) would have the Robot chase me down the hall to bed.  This was not my best toy memory.  One day i tore it apart and blamed it on Mariooch, the dog.
Now this Robot was almost as big as me
and I was about 5. Maybe 4.  I hated that d--m thing!
My big bros would laugh.  I hated that too. LOL.I had a chamelion that I did like but that isn't a toy.
I was blown-away when he changed colors by what I put him on.  I remember squishing grapes and feeding him by hand, little piece and i remember his little toothless mouth on my fingers.AWKKK  When I see the Geico commercial I think of him, but I forgot what I called him. This subject ir freakin' me out!  Done.
Posted:  03 Jan 2008 00:01
Hey I have a lot of uperman stuff in my room and like half of it is toys. Other stuff is posters, DVDs, Clothes, and whole bunch of other things as well.

If you need a good laugh, watch The World's Angriest Cat LOLRH you will laugh your head off.
Posted:  04 Jan 2008 15:06
Quiz. Can you all identify the background Superman is flying from.
http://superherouniverse.com/art/data/500/super4.JPG
Posted:  05 Jan 2008 03:20
Krypton?
Posted:  05 Jan 2008 05:01
My guess---A sprayed blue architectural arrangement made of  gouged and stacked styro-foam? Glued on a flat cardboard, Just 12 inches by 12 inches??
Posted:  05 Jan 2008 16:28
ok i guess you both could be right, but the answer I was looking for is.....

Krypton. And if you'll notice the dome, where Zod and his evil henchmen were sent to the Phantom Zone.
Posted:  07 Jan 2008 00:24
I was going to say Krypton before it was destroyed.

Find superhero products and fun collectibles in these store collections of merchandise - Batman Captain America Flash Green Arrow Green Lantern Spider-Man Wonder Woman

DC Universe Online - Playstation 3

Batman Logo Auto Accessories Interior Combo Kit Gift Set

Classic Superman Posters Superman the Movie Superman II Posters
Superman III Posters Comic Book Posters Superhero collectibles for sale

Comic Book Fan Art at Fanboyartist.com

SupermanTV.net Gallery Categories

Comic Book Covers

Arrow Gallery

George Reeves

Man of Steel

Smallville

Christopher Reeve

Superboy

Cartoons

Comic Book Ads

Buy Action Hero Abs at Amazon
Action Hero Abs details

Cartoon Gallery and Forum Spider-man Store Spider-man Fan Site Superhero Store Captain America Movie Posters  TV Shows Posterlovers.com