Kirk Alyn

George Reeves

Movies

Lois and Clark   Smallville   Man of Steel   Returns  Superboy

Fan Boy Art  Forum Emotion Images   Avatars   Images Gallery  Superman Facts  Superman Fan Art  Hulk Store

Home

Superman Comics
Superman Links
Hulk VS Superman
Superman Articles
Superman serials

Superman Wallpaper
Superman Animation

Superhero Workouts
New Collectibles
Superman Store

Green Arrow

Batman

Flash

Wonder Woman

»User: »Password:   Remember Me? 

SupermanTV.net Forum / Superman / Superman Comic Books / Five Revelations About Superman from ACTION COMICS #7

Posted:  10 Mar 2012 23:38
Five Revelations About Superman from ACTION COMICS #7

Grant Morrison lays out some more updated facts on the Man of Steel in the "New 52."

***Warning minor spoilers below for ACTION COMICS #7***

Month after month, the pages of Grant Morrison's ACTION COMICS deliver revelation after revelation as far as who Superman is in the "New 52." It's interesting because with the other title, SUPERMAN, we know pretty much where he's going to end up, who he will become. That Superman and the one in ACTION feel like different characters and seeing young Superman develop is one of the great things about the series.

This Superman isn't as powerful as the one we know. Seeing the events that shape him into who he will become adds to the suspense of the series and character. Every little detail is scrutinized as we search for the next big revelations unleashed upon us.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/2233678-s1_super.jpg

As the residence of Metropolis are held captive inside a bottle, it's up to Superman to save them. There will be some minor spoilers below for ACTION COMICS #7 so be sure to read that issue before continuing.

How Fast is Superman?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/2233679-s2_super.jpg

How much faster than a speeding bullet is he? Is he faster than Flash? We sort of saw the answer to that one in the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE but we don't know what his top speed is.

In order to proceed with a plan to confront the aliens that have taken and miniaturized Metropolis, Superman has to get to a speed of 25,000 miles per hour. Think about that. Count those zeroes. That's pretty fast. It's mentioned that he's never been recorded going more than 600 m.p.h. but the idea doesn't phase Superman. And obviously in order for the issue to proceed, he does reach that speed.

Superman Can't Breathe in Space

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/2233683-s3_super.jpg

This should be a given. It's likely you've seen panels from old comics and Superman had no problems flying out into space. Whether he could breathe or was just holding his breath, it was one of the silly aspects of the over-powered Superman of the old days. While Grant Morrison is taking some cues from earlier incarnations of Superman, this is thankfully not one he chose to use as Superman needed a breathing apparatus to complete his journey.

Discovery of Krypton

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/2233710-s4_super.jpg

Superman knew he was from another planet but didn't really know any details. It was the invaders that gave him the name. He had heard in in dreams (which were most likely memories or ghosts of them) but never knew what it meant. This gave him the confirmation that the name of his planet was actually Krypton. At least some good came out of the aliens attacking Metropolis and threatening to destroy Earth.

Kandor's Existence

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/2233720-s5_super.jpg

Is Superman the last son of Krypton? We know in the current time, Superman encounters his cousin Kara. With the idea of cities being shrunk down and collected in bottles obviously means Kandor would be brought up. We all suspected it but now we have confirmation that it does in fact exist in the "New 52."

We'll have to keep our eyes peeled to see what the fate of Kandor is after this arc. Will Superman be able to save/preserve the bottled cities? Will he find a way to shrink himself down so he can visit the city? Will residents of Kandor someday find a way to emerge from the bottle? There are still so many answers.

Superman's Costume

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/2233739-s6_super.jpg

Just when I was getting used to the jeans and t-shirt look, here comes the Kryptonian suit. It had to happen sooner or later since he's wearing it in SUPERMAN but it came sooner than we expected. When Kandor was taken (collected), some other artifacts were preserved along with it. There was some Kryptonian "clothes" that Superman remembered seeing before as an infant. Understanding that the purpose they served (as Kryptonian armor), he helped himself to the display case and put them on.

The suit was originally plain white but once he put it on, it transformed into his traditional colors, perhaps due to his genetic code or something. Now that he has the suit, we have to wonder how indestructible is it? If it's as tough as his cape is, perhaps he won't have to worry about any tears or having to worry about repairing any damage.

Bonus: What About Steel?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/2233743-s7_super.jpg

Steel has already made his debut in the series. When Metropolis was teleported away, there was plenty of destruction left and lives to be saved. With Superman trying to save those taken away, Steel spent his time saving those still left behind. Making such a public display of heroism, he should have made a name for himself as a hero. Because this happen five plus years ago, you have to wonder what happened to Steel after this. We've not seen any mention of him in current "New 52" issues. Is he still being a hero or has he devoted his life to scientific research? We'll just have to wait and see.

Source:comicvine.com

I like when Superman said Zoom Vision! HAHAHAH!

K.R.

GO FORWARD!
"Although Lex Luthor is your ultimate opponent, you will triumph over him, and when you show yourself to the world....it will be a different age than ours, Clark. A silver age of heroism...that will start when they look up into the sky at you...with hope for tomorrow. You will help everyone to embrace it."-Dr Fate

GO FORWARD!
Posted:  13 Mar 2012 00:55
One thing I always thought though about the breathing in space issue. Kind of the way the Hulk could also operate in space was their ability to take super deep breaths. Superman in the Silver Age could hold his breath almost indefinitely I believe.
Posted:  13 Mar 2012 23:15
Quote:
Superman in the Silver Age could hold his breath almost indefinitely I believe.

When the Superman character was revised by John Byrne. Superman was powered down about half the superpowers of the silver age Superman had. I remember when I first started collecting Superman comics in the late 80's Superman had left Earth exile in space. SUPERMAN (second series) #28-30, #32-33, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #451-456, ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #2, and ACTION COMICS #643 (all from 1988-89)

On an alternative Earth created by the Time Traveller three Kryptonian prisoners escape from the Phantom Zone. Superman eventually subdues the criminals, but they've already destroyed all the inhabitants of the parallel Earth. Overwhelmed by their crime, and unwilling to leave them with any possibility of repeating their crimes, Superman kills all three Kryptonians. Superman is wracked with grief over his recent action of  killing of the 3 homicidal Kryptonian criminals. Superman deciding he is a potential threat to the people of Earth, so Superman exiles himself to wander space. So Superman dons a oxygen mask with a Experimental teleportation Harness and disappears into deep space. This story arc features the first appearance of the Eradicator, Mongul, the Cleric and War Planet.

Superman can only hold his breath for a few hours and then use the oxygen mask to breath. When Superman lands on a planet with oxygen to breath. He would resupply his oxygen tanks on his belt with oxygen to breath. Tho the farther he would leave the Yellow sun rays Superman would weaken since he needs constant Yellow rays of the sun to power him.

After Byrne's departure from the series, Superman's powers and abilities were once again increased over time. He regained the ability to travel interstellar distances and to hold his breath for the amount of time required to make such journeys. His strength, speed, and sensory abilities were again increased, although not to Pre-Crisis levels.

Superman:Exile is a great story if you haven't read it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519Y76F8EPL._SS500_.jpg

K.R.

GO FORWARD!
"Although Lex Luthor is your ultimate opponent, you will triumph over him, and when you show yourself to the world....it will be a different age than ours, Clark. A silver age of heroism...that will start when they look up into the sky at you...with hope for tomorrow. You will help everyone to embrace it."-Dr Fate

GO FORWARD!
Posted:  15 Mar 2012 00:59
I remember back when John Byrne took over. I think I was more excited by that revamp than I was the current one. I used to be a big Byrne fan. He does tell good stories.

For some reason lately I've grown more nostalgic for the era before Byrne when Curt Swan was drawing Superman though. I've got all the Byrne era comics I believe, and almost a full run of Superman from 1970-85 or so. It's not completely full but it's getting close.

I'll have to look and see if I have the ones you are talking about. I know have the ones about the Kryptonians, but the ones after that I'm not sure if I've got them all or not.
Posted:  18 Mar 2012 21:47
Yea I am still missing some issues to complete my comic collection. Tho on the side note looking thru my old Superman comics I hate the type of paper and ink they used in comics in the old days. The ink smudges and makes Black spots in the comics. The paper and ink they use now is way better, tho that's why we pay for the hefty $3.99 price for comics today. Man I remember paying .75 cents for a issue of Superman. Hahaha

K.R.

GO FORWARD!

GO FORWARD!
Posted:  19 Mar 2012 16:16
Yeah, I know what you mean. The paper is better, but I still love the old stuff from the 70's. I think the 70's print and the art too was better than the 80's, and the 90's. I definitely think the stuff today is far superior to the 90's print. It's kind of funny though to me some older artist work I think actually works better with the old style print like John Byrne and Neal Adams for instance. I mean looking at their work in today's format doesn't seem to be nearly as good as it was back in the day. At least to me.

Then today there are some new artists I barely know that their work looks incredible in today's print.

Still comics are so expensive today that I think I'd rather have cheaper paper just so I could afford to read them. I've got a few subscriptions like for Superman, Action, Batman, and the Flash, but for most of my reading I have to wait for the cheap boxes. I lucked out yesterday got 92 comics for 25 cents a piece. Of course about 10 or 12 of them I found out I already had after I got home. I hate when that happens.  Still considering they were originally 3 bucks or more I think I did good.
Posted:  21 Mar 2012 17:38
Quote:
Still comics are so expensive today that I think I'd rather have cheaper paper just so I could afford to read them. I've got a few subscriptions like for Superman, Action, Batman, and the Flash, but for most of my reading I have to wait for the cheap boxes. I lucked out yesterday got 92 comics for 25 cents a piece. Of course about 10 or 12 of them I found out I already had after I got home. I hate when that happens.  Still considering they were originally 3 bucks or more I think I did good.

Oh yea I know what you mean Tim. When I was collecting Superman and Batman they use to be .75 cents. then went to a $1.00 and then $1.50 then $2.00. now the price tag is $3.99. That's a lot of money for a comic book that's why I like to by them in graphic novels these days. You get the compete story all in one book. Tho I do like to buy back issues or cheap boxes, I back issued a lot of Superman comics for .50 cents to a $1.00 each. Now that was awesome 92 comics for .25 cents each a good find. You sure did good.

K.R.

GO FORWARD!

GO FORWARD!
 Find superhero products and fun collectibles in these store collections of merchandise - Batman Captain America Flash Green Arrow Green Lantern Spider-Man Wonder Woman

DC Universe Online - Playstation 3

Batman Logo Auto Accessories Interior Combo Kit Gift Set

Classic Superman Posters Superman the Movie Superman II Posters
Superman III Posters Comic Book Posters Superhero collectibles for sale

Comic Book Fan Art at Fanboyartist.com

SupermanTV.net Gallery Categories

Comic Book Covers

Arrow Gallery

George Reeves

Man of Steel

Smallville

Christopher Reeve

Superboy

Cartoons

Comic Book Ads

Buy Action Hero Abs at Amazon
Action Hero Abs details

Cartoon Gallery and Forum Spider-man Store Spider-man Fan Site Superhero Store Captain America Movie Posters  TV Shows Posterlovers.com